Maricopa County Leadership and Education Advancing Public Service
Recruitment for Spring 2020 is closed
- Review information on this frontpage - overview, benefits, eligibility
- Click on "How It Works" on the menu to the left on this page. Read and review Application and Internship procedures
- Apply - Click on "Application" and upload requested documents.
Click here for tips on drafting a successful application.
What is the MCLEAPS Internship Program?
Arizona State University students have the opportunity to compete for paid internships within multiple Maricopa County departments through an award-winning program approved by the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors and Arizona State University. This ASU and Maricopa County partnership offers top students hands-on experience and greatly enhances their education with an introduction to the opportunities and rewards of public service careers, including in county government. The internship program also provides specialized career training applicable to any field.
The Maricopa County Leadership and Education Advancing Public Service program, MCLEAPS, is administered through ASU’s Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions, and internships are open to all ASU students. Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to apply for this experiential and educational opportunity. MCLEAPS is an exciting opportunity for the students and the County, and an example of Dr. Michael Crow’s vision.
The full-time, immersive work-learning opportunities are offered in fall and spring semesters. Most are project-based and vary by department, providing an opportunity to complement student’s academic pursuits, recruiting and training the highest performing, most dedicated young people to become the next generation of public servants.
Interns earn these benefits:
- career-relevant work experience, skills, and industry knowledge for chosen career
- opportunity to build a network of professional connections for career start and advancement
- full waiver of semester ASU tuition and fees (student will be responsible for any fees associated with specific degree programs)
- stipend of $5000 paid for project work performed
- academic credit toward degree, depending on major and degree, as well as Department or School requirements
Participating Maricopa County Divisions and Departments have included:
- Adult Probation
- Air Quality
- Animal Control and Care
- Emergency Management
- Environmental Services
- Flood Control District
- Human Services
- Justice Systems and Planning and Information
- Juvenile Probation
- Maricopa County Attorney's Office - Investigations and Victim's Services
- Maricopa County Department of Transportation - Communications, Finance and ITC
- Maricopa County Education Service Agency - Research, Finance, and Marketing
- Maricopa County Treasurer's Office
- Medical Examiner's Office
- Office of Enterprise Technology
- Office of Communications
- Planning and Development
- Procurement Services
- Public Fiduciary
- Recorders Office/Elections Department
- Research and Planning Services - Superior Court Administration
- Sheriff's Office
- School Superintendent's Office
*Bold type indicates departments that proposed projects to host interns in spring 2020
The MCLEAPS Internship Program is open to all Arizona State University students who meet these eligibility requirements.
- Eligible student candidates must be admitted and currently enrolled at Arizona State University.
- Eligible students must pass a background check administered by Maricopa County
- Undergraduate students must have achieved a minimum of 75 credits toward the 120 credit ASU degree. A second semester junior or senior student in first or second semester is eligible.
- Graduate students are eligible.
- Transfer students from community college or other public or private colleges or universities must have attended a minimum of one semester at ASU, prior to the start of the semester in which they will participate, to be eligible.
- Students must have earned and maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher at ASU, as evidenced on their transcript.
- International students are eligible to apply.