How it works:
and Internship Program
Spring 2024 Recruitment is ended. Fall 2024 Recruitment will begin in March.
Spring 2024 Applicants have been referred. Maricopa County Departments will conduct interviews and make intern selections - November 27 - December 8, 2023.
Selected Interns will be contacted by both MC and ASU MCLEAPS Internship Program Coordinators for offer and acceptance next steps.
What should I expect during the Fall or Spring Recruitment Schedule?
- Recruitment Period starts with a Kick-Off Information Session, featuring a panel of department supervisors and current interns. Time, date, place is announced each semester. The Recruitment Kick-Off Information Session is held in-person.
- During the Recruitment Period: Pre-Application Preparation Workshops are offered by the ASU MCLEAPS Internship Coordinator, virtual and in-person. Dates and locations are posted at the top left of the MCLEAPS home page prior and during the recruitment period. Specific instruction is provided in acing the application and selection process - what information and materials are requested and how to present them.
- Applications are accepted online and during the scheduled two-week Application Period ONLY.
- The projects/departments are posted as a pdf on this site (Home page and How It Works page*).
- Apply online by selecting the web page marked "Internship Application" on the left side of the MCLEAPS homepage - DURING THE DESIGNATED APPLICATION PERIOD ONLY
- Students may apply and be considered for more than one MCLEAPS internship opportunity, relevant to their studies and for which they meet the qualifications. Candidates will need a separate Statement of Interest for each position for which they apply, along with one resume and one unofficial copy of their college transcript
- Applications received by the deadline will be reviewed by the ASU-MCLEAPS Internship Coordinator for referral to Maricopa County
- Selected applicants will be reviewed and interviewed by Maricopa County.
- Successful candidates will be offered the internship by the end of the semester preceding the internship period. Offers are contingent on passing the employment background check.
What is the MCLEAPS Internship experience DURING THE SEMESTER?
Post-Recruitment Schedule and Internship Requirements - PLEASE REVIEW THIS INFORMATION TO UNDERSTAND THE INTERN COMMITMENT if you are selected for this internship.
- All students selected for the program must pass an employment background check conducted by Maricopa County. Some county departments may conduct additional criminal background checks due to the nature of the work and citizens served.
- Those who accept the offer will be hired as a MCLEAPS Intern and will work fulltime, 40 hours per week, during the selected semester.
- Work as a MCLEAPS Intern will be conducted from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, with some flexibility negotiable for studies. Students should discuss schedule and flexibility before accepting an offer as a MCLEAPS Intern.
- Currently, participating departments are offering on-site work arrangements only.
- Arizona State University Investment in students selected: The program provides the selected MCLEAPS Interns with a waiver of the semester’s ASU tuition and fees for up to 15 hours of academic credit towards a degree, depending on the degree requirements of the students’ major or program. Maricopa County Investment in students selected: The program provides a paid stipend of $5000 for completion of project work during the semester (not wages).
- Selected MCLEAPS Interns must be eligible to earn academic credit and registered for a minimum 3 credit internship class, or equivalent, with their academic unit during the semester of participation in this internship. Interns may register for additional classes during the same semester, as long as it does not interfere with their work during the hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (for example, evening and online course formats), to maximize the 15 credit tuition waiver.
- MCLEAPS Interns must work with their academic unit's designated academic advisor or internship coordinator to discuss this work-learning opportunity relative to their degree and career goals, and determine details of eligibility and registration for earning academic credit. It is best to have these conversations before application, selection and offer acceptance.
- Selected MCLEAPS interns will participate in a full day of professional development at the start of the Spring semester (January 8, 2024). Thereafter the MCLEAPS interns perform work on-site with the department and the supervisor for which they have been selected, and attend additional professional development trainings as a cohort.