Student Assistance

The Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions cares deeply about our community and encourages faculty, staff, and students to reach out if they have concerns about a student. For students who need assistance, there are other resources available throughout the ASU community that can help.

Helping Students

For immediate medical or safety emergencies, please call 911. If a student may need professional help such as counseling, please contact the by email or via the Student of Concern Form. The national suicide/crisis hotline is 988.

If a student gives indication they may be in distress (signs may include confusion, sadness, anxiety, irritability, bizarre behavior, lacking motivation and/or concentration, and stopping engagement in class), please submit a Take Action Please (TAP) form. This form is designed to identify those students who may need some extra assistance. 

Additional Resources:

Open Call and Open Chat: 1-877-258-7429
Counseling Services: Downtown Phoenix campus (602-496-1155), West (602-543-8125), Tempe (480-965-6146)
EMPACT: (ASU's 24-hr crisis hotline) 480-921-1006
CRISIS TEXTLINE: text HOME to 741741

Classroom Disruptions

In accordance with the ASU Student Code of Conduct, students are prohibited from disrupting the learning environment. This also includes not following direct instructions from an instructor to stop such behavior.

If a student persists in disruptive behavior, faculty, instructors, and staff should ask them to leave and then report the incident through our Take Action Please (TAP) form. If you are worried about the safety of yourself or students, contact campus police. Call 911 from any campus for emergencies, 480-965-3456 for non-emergencies.

ASU Online Students

If a student in an ASU Online course is disruptive or displaying concerning behavior, submit the Take Action Please (TAP) form. ASU Online students have access to ASU 360 for free, 24/7 counseling, crisis intervention and support. ASU Online success coaches can connect students to resources. Students can find their coach's contact information on their My ASU page.

Attendance and Health Concerns

Students can contact ASU Health Services (480-965-3349 or, who will advise them about scheduling a telehealth or in-person appointment.

Faculty should not receive private health information from students, including doctors’ notes or other personal health details.

We want students who are sick to stay home, and they should not be penalized for missing classes. Syllabi should provide clear expectations for students who may be absent due to illness, including how to contact faculty to request an accommodation. Options to consider for students who miss class due to illness can include recording a class, allowing a student to temporarily participate via Zoom, or assigning a make-up activity. If a student is unable to complete a course, please remember that they may qualify for an incomplete or medical/compassionate withdrawal.

If you have any concerns or questions related to attendance or best practices, please submit a Take Action Please (TAP) form.

For the latest information on learning expectations, please visit:

Academic Integrity and Grievances

If you believe a student has violated the academic integrity policy in your course, you can and should communicate with the student face-to-face/Zoom/email. Be clear regarding the violation and offer the student a chance to respond to the allegation.

Report a violation:

If a violation has occurred:

  1. Notify the student that you are reporting them to the Academic Integrity Office.
  2. Submit your details, evidence and narrative to the Academic Integrity Office via the online reporting form.
  3. The AIO will review and work with you to assess a fair and consistent sanction and will report this to the student.

When a student wants to appeal a grade in your course, their first step should be to go through you, the instructor.

If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of a grade complaint, they must follow the school policy first. After first speaking with the school and receiving a response, they may then appeal to the college through Dr. Jen Bevins.

Please refer them to this website: