Customize your degree
Add a minor or certificate to your program and you'll gain the skills that make you more marketable to employers. You can pursue certificate programs along with a major, minor, other certificate program, or independently as a non-degree seeking student.
Community sports management
- The community sports management minor focuses on the role that amateur and recreational sports play in a community.
Criminology and criminal justice
- The minor in criminology and criminal justice allows students in other undergraduate programs at ASU to explore issues of crime, law and the criminal justice system.
Nonprofit leadership and management
- The minor in nonprofit leadership and management empowers students to positively impact the community in which they work.
Parks and protected area management
- The minor in parks and protected area management introduces students to the role of parks and protected areas, with a focus on the unique issues faced by urban-proximate natural area managers.
Public service and public policy
- The minor in public service and public policy prepares students for work in government at all levels and nonprofit organizations through comprehensive coverage of topics in public policy, public leadership and management and urban studies.
- The minor in recreation management introduces students to community recreation programming and planning for a variety of populations.
- The social welfare minor prepares students for work in human service settings where a fundamental knowledge of human relations is required.
Special events management
- The minor in special events management is designed to offer students a solid understanding of special event programming and management.
- A minor in sustainable tourism development will allow students from any major to learn the basic concepts and theories of tourism development and management and help them identify ways in which tourism can contribute to sustainable development, locally and globally.
Tourism Development & Management
- The minor in tourism development and management provides students with the planning and development skills needed to enter the largest industry in the world.
Urban and metropolitan studies
- The minor in urban and metropolitan studies offers students interested in the urban environment the opportunity to explore the wide variety of issues that influence the quality of life in urban communities.
Youth services leadership
- The minor in youth services leadership is designed to explore the area of youth leadership from the perspective of those who work face-to-face with youth in a variety of settings.
- Child life specialists are experts in child development who promote effective coping among children who face challenges related to health care and hospitalization.
Convention sales and meeting planning
- The certificate, which has been endorsed by the Greater Phoenix Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Arizona Sunbelt Chapter of Meeting Professionals International, will enhance a graduate's career opportunities as a tourism professional.
- The creative city certificate prepares students to engage effectively in revitalizing cities and communities by tapping their inherent potential for cultural innovation, place-making and social and economic entrepreneurship.
- The homeland security certificate will provide students with the skills and credentials necessary to prepare them to enter fields specializing in homeland security.
Leadership and ethics
- The certificate in leadership and ethics is designed for undergraduate students who are interested in developing leadership skills or wish to enhance their degree in an existing major at ASU, working adults who may wish to further their education yet may not be looking for a degree program, or BIS students who seek to combine certificates with their degree.
- The undergraduate certificate in lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender studies is offered by the Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Studies.
- This nationally recognized certificate program awards qualified students from diverse academic fields with the National Certified Nonprofit Professional credential.
Public administration and public management
- The certificate in public administration and public management prepares students for citizenship, leadership and careers in governmental and nonprofit agencies.
- The security studies certificate will provide students with the skills and credentials necessary to expand their employment opportunities in corporate and public security.
Special events management
- The special events management certificate is a career enhancement program offered to nondegree-seeking students or those who already have a degree from an accredited university in any major or to students currently pursuing a bachelor's in any major.
Assessment of integrative health modalities
- The School of Social Work graduate certificate in assessment of integrative health modalities will focus on integrative health, the current term used by practitioners in the field who feel strongly that treating the whole person - body, mind and spirit - is the route to the highest quality of health.
- The graduate certificate in corrections management will prepare corrections administration professionals and enhance their work by providing course work in criminal justice organizations, corrections and community supervision, institutional management and in cross-disciplines such as public administration.
Criminal sentencing and sentencing advocacy
- This certificate allows social workers and other criminal justice professionals to perform a number of roles in the disposition and sentencing of various offenders and in the provision of services to victims.
- The graduate certificate in emergency management provides motivated students with skills and knowledge to manage and assume positions of leadership within the field of emergency management.
Foundational graduate certificate in gerontology
- The certificate is designed to enhance the disciplinary competence of graduate students and professionals who want to work more effectively with older adults in a variety of settings.
Latino cultural competency in social work
- The goal of the program is to enhance a social worker professional's capacity for engaging in culturally grounded practice with Latino clients and their families.
Law enforcement administration
- The graduate certificate in law enforcement administration will prepare and enhance the work of law enforcement professionals by providing course work in criminal justice organizations, policing and program analysis and in cross-disciplines such as public administration.
Nonprofit leadership and management
- The graduate certificate in nonprofit leadership and management is a program that provides students with an understanding of the nonprofit sector's role in society and with knowledge applicable to those who wish to lead and manage these organizations.
- This certificate provides students with the knowledge and skills to develop, implement and evaluate participatory governance programs and public engagement activities.
- The policy informatics certificate emphasizes theories and research concerning decision-making, complexity theory, and visualization of quantitative and qualitative information, collective intelligence, behavioral economics, and persuasive technologies.
- The certificate in Program Evaluation provides students with a basic grounding in the applied and conceptual tools of conducting evaluation research.
- The graduate certificate in public administration prepares students for work in government at all levels and nonprofit organizations through comprehensive coverage of topics in public administration, management and policy.
- This certificate prepares students for professional careers as policy analysts and leaders in public service involved in the formulation, approval, implementation, and evaluation of public policy at all levels of government and in the private and nonprofit sectors.
Social entrepreneurship and community development
- The online social entrepreneurship and community development graduate certificate, offered through the School of Community Resources and Development, provides a framework for harnessing entrepreneurial and enterprise opportunities, creating transformative responses to challenges prevalent in societies and communities.
- The online graduate certificate in sustainable tourism, offered by the School of Community Resources and Development, is intended for professionals who work in or desire to work in the tourism industry.
Trauma and bereavement
- The School of Social Work graduate certificate in trauma and bereavement will better prepare individuals to work in the field of death and dying, trauma and bereavement in clinical, organizational and administrative settings, enhancing knowledge about grief responses and the effects of trauma, providing opportunities for students to research an often under-explored topic, and helping transform the sociopolitical management of grief, traumatic losses and end-of-life issues in contemporary society.