How it works: Internship Program and Recruitment Schedule
Fall 2021 Recruitment as ended.
Spring 2022 Recruitment will start in October.
Post-Recruitment Schedule and Internship Requirements - PLEASE REVIEW THIS INFORMATION TO UNDERSTAND INTERN COMMITMENT
- All students selected for the program must pass an employment background check conducted by Maricopa County. Some county departments may conduct additional criminal background checks due to the nature of the work and citizens served.
- Those who accept the offer will be hired as a MCLEAPS Intern and will work fulltime, 40 hours per week, during the selected semester.
- Work as a MCLEAPS Intern will be conducted from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, with some flexibility negotiable. Students should discuss schedule and flexibility before accepting an offer of employment as a MCLEAPS Intern.
- Currently, participating departments are offering remote, on-site and hybrid work arrangements, in agreement with the ASU COVID19 mitigation practices to reduce exposure for interns and employees, and depending on projects, the programs and services provide to Maricopa County citizens.
- The program provides the selected MCLEAPS Interns a paid stipend of $5000 for completion of project work during the semester and a waiver of the semester’s ASU tuition and fees for up to 15 hours of academic credit towards a degree, depending on the degree requirements of the students’ major or program.
- Selected MCLEAPS Interns must be eligible to earn academic credit and registered for an internship class, or equivalent, with their academic unit during the semester of participation in this internship. Interns may register for additional classes during the same semester, ONLY if it does not interfere with their work during the hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (for example, evening and online formats).
- MCLEAPS Interns must work with their academic unit's designated academic advisor or internship coordinator to discuss this work-learning opportunity relative to their degree and career goals, and determine details of eligibility and registration for earning academic credit. It is best to have these conversations before application, selection and offer acceptance.
Recruitment Schedule includes:
- Internship project/department proposals are posted, following the Kick-Off Information Session, and through the application period.
- The Kick-Off Information Session features a panel of current interns and supervisors. Time, date, place is announced each semester. Recruitment Kick-Off Information Session will be held via the virtual platform - Zoom Meetings
- Pre-Application Assistance Workshops are offered by the ASU MCLEAPS Internship Coordinator, at multiple University campuses. Dates and locations will be posted at the top left of the MCLEAPS home page. Specific instruction is provided in acing the application and selection process - what information and materials are requested and how to present them. Workshops will be offered virtually.
- Applications are accepted online and during the scheduled Application Period ONLY .
- The projects/departments are posted as a pdf on this site (frontpage and below).
- Apply online by selecting the web page marked "Application" on the left side of the MCLEAPS homepage - DURING THE DESIGNATED APPLICATION PERIOD ONLY
- Candidates will need a separate statement of interest for each position for which they apply, along with a resume and unofficial copy of their college transcript
- Students may apply and be considered for more than one MCLEAPS internship opportunity, relevant to their studies and for which they meet the qualifications.
- Applications received by the deadline will be reviewed by the ASU-MCLEAPS Internship Coordinator for referral to Maricopa County
- Selected applicants will be reviewed and interviewed by Maricopa County.
- Successful candidates will be offered the internship just after the end of the semester preceding the internship period. Offers are contingent on passing the employment background check.