Community Service Coalition
What is the Watts Community Service Coalition?
The Coalition is an extension of the Community Solutions Cooperative (Co-op) which consists of students, staff, faculty, and community partners coming together to solve issues and impact positive change within our communities. As a Watts College student, you are automatically a member of the Co-op and the Coalition is open to any Watts student at any time!
While you earn your degree, you can leverage community service to create meaningful change while also learning more comprehensively about why and how these social justice issues have come to be in our communities. Acquiring the knowledge and gaining the boots on the ground experience will allow us to become agents of positive change.
As a member of the Coalition, you will learn about amazing opportunities locally and abroad that exist within ASU and after graduation! You will also have the opportunity to learn from and collaborate with community partners, Watts College faculty and staff, and other students! There will be many leadership opportunities! Furthermore, you will belong to a group of like-minded individuals where your passion and friendship will grow.
How do I get involved?
Fill out the interest form below and we will get in touch!
Check back for an ongoing list of current opportunities and ways to get involved!
In the meantime, check out some of our partners:
Frequently Asked Questions
- The objective of the Coalition is to collaboratively serve and impact positive change within our communities alongside fellow students and Watts College staff, faculty, and community partners. This will be done through listening and learning from each other as well as sharing our own expertise and experiences to help others grow. The coalition will engage in meaningful respectful conversations and community service. Members of the Coalition will both join and share opportunities and ideas. This is a collaborative space.
Is there a fee?
- There is no fee.
How often does the Community Service Coalition meet?
- That is currently being decided. As of right now we are only holding meetings as-needed but hope to eventually get on some sort of consistent schedule.
If I do not live in Arizona, can I still be a part of the Coalition?
- Absolutely! We can connect virtually and service can be done anywhere!
- As of right now, all meetings will be held virtually. There is still a lot of great ways to engage in community service and impact positive change both virtually and in COVID-19 safe ways.
Furthering social justice initiatives:
- It is important that we become agents of positive change and create more equitable communities. This is a topic that is of immense importance and we hope to address this through the Coalition.
Organizations to volunteer with and issues important to our Coalition members:
- Red Cross, Borderlands Produce Rescue, serving the homeless populations and homeless veterans
- Inequality and racism, domestic violence advocacy, veterans, mental health advocacy
How do I earn the President’s Volunteer Service Award?
- Individuals can earn the federally recognized President’s Volunteer Service Award by completing a specified amount of community service hours. Changemakers at ASU is a certifying organization of the President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation. Students will need to track their hours and submit to Changemakers if they are interested in earning this award. Many volunteer opportunities through the Coalition can be counted towards the President’s Volunteer Service Award. Please review the links below. If there are any questions regarding this, please let me know.
Ashley Funneman (Co-op Project Coordinator, Watts College) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Ellen Lagerman (First-Generation and Transfer Student Services Coordinator, Watts College) - email@example.com